Directing Program is a program for individuals who are interested in becoming directors of their own performances. The performance could be a theater play, dance performance, a musical, or any other form. The Beirut Summer School produces that performance. An artistic advisor would be accompanying and supporting the director in their creation process. In collaboration with the Monnot theater, the play would be premiered in Monnot ACT theater in January 2024. After the premier in January, and in collaboration with BAH Coop, the director would participate in a one week workshop on how to adapt and prepare the performance for touring in other cities in Lebanon.
who are the artistic advisors
What does the Beirut Summer School offer?
The Beirut Summer School offers:
- An artistic advisor who would be by the side of the director through out the directing process. (October till January)
- A rehearsal space
- Premiere of the play in Monnot ACT theater in January 2024
- Technicians for light, set and sound during the get in days
- A maximum of 250$ budget for the set props customs
- Publicity and PR campaign for the performance at hand
- 900$ fees for director and team
- A workshop with BAH Coop on touring with the performance to other cities in Lebanon
1. All productions must not have been performed before. It can be a work in progress that have started prior to applying.
2. Describing the play: In the application you will be asked to describe the play and the reasons behind your interest in directing it.
3. Play Duration: A minimum of 40 minutes and a maximum of 55 minutes.
4. Technical Requirements: Sound, light, Set, and props should be minimal and easy to move in and out of the ACT theater and within the technical infrastructure of ACT theater.
5. Casting Policies: A maximum of 2 performers. You can not be both the director and the performer.
6. Rehearsal Schedule: will be provided based on the schedule of ACT theater.
7. Copyright, censorship and Licensing: Directors must have legal rights to perform the chosen play and should provide proof of licensing if applicable as well as censorship authorizations.
8. Inclusivity and Diversity: Any performances that endorses any kind of discrimination, bigotry, or racism on any basis will be rejected.
9. Technical Rehearsal Attendance: Directors must attend technical rehearsals to ensure their production's technical aspects run smoothly.